Curiosity. It’s a trait engineering students have in common. You’re curious about how things work, and how they can work better.
And because you’re forward-thinking, you’re curious about the impact your work will have on the way we live now, and in the future.
Check out The National Academy of Engineering and their 14 Grand Challenges for the 21st Century:
- Make solar energy affordable
- Provide energy from fusion
- Develop carbon sequestration methods
- Manage the nitrogen cycle
- Provide access to clean water
- Restore and improve urban infrastructure
- Advance health informatics
- Engineer better medicines
- Reverse-engineer the brain
- Prevent nuclear terror
- Secure cyberspace
- Enhance virtual reality
- Advance personalized learning
- Engineer the tools for scientific discovery
Wow. Breath-taking, isn’t it? As you brainstorm for college essay topics, dive into the nitty-gritty of why – why you’re drawn to the engineering disciplines.
Here’s the link to learn more: http://www.engineeringchallenges.org/challenges.aspx